Advt. No: NISER/ACAD/PhD/2018-19 (2)
Applications are invited from Indian citizens for admission to the PhD program scheduled to commence from 4th January 2019 in the following schools of NISER, Bhubaneswar:
1. School of Biological Sciences (SBS)
2. School of Chemical Sciences (SCS)
3. School of Physical Sciences (SPS)
4. School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS)
5. School of Computer Sciences (SCPS)
Biological Sciences Stream:
60 Percent or equivalent GPA in Masters or M.Tech in any branches of Biology, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. Students with Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics having interest in pursuing a career in Biology are encouraged to apply.
(a) Candidates applying for admission in School of Chemical Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences and Computer Sciences must have qualified at least one of these national level examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST/INSPIRE (Doctoral fellowship under AORC Scheme with fellowship) or some other equivalent national level exam, valid for the current year in the appropriate field of research.
(b) Candidates applying for admission in School of Biological Sciences must have qualified at least one National Level Exam with fellowship (CSIR-NET, DST INSPIRE, DBT, ICMR or some other equivalent) and should have valid fellowship certificate for the year 2019 in the time of application. Fellowship certificate/award letter should be submitted in the time of application.
(c) Candidates applying for admission in School of Physical Sciences must have qualified at least one National Level Exam i.e CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST or some other equivalent national level exam valid for the present year.
3. The scholarship given by NISER is Rs. 25,000/for first two years, which will then be enhanced to Rs. 28,000/- for remaining three years, subject to the condition that he/she fulfills all of the requirements of this Institute which will be specified from time to time. Fellowship amount from outside sources will be regulated in accordance with the rules of their respective funding agencies.
School of Biological Sciences
• AR lab: 1. Regulation of Lipid Homeostasis and Membrane Biogenesis: role of a phosphatidate phosphatase (PAH) and 2. Mechanism of Nuclear Remodelling: role of Drp6 and its interacting proteins in the nuclear expansion of Tetrahymena
• DPA lab: Molecular Genetics, Epigenetics and Genomics of Ageing Disorders:
Neurodegeneration and Cancer
• HM lab: Antimicrobial resistance and virulence: The lab focuses on studying abiotic and biotic stress response in gram-negative opportunistic bacterial pathogens. Candidates having sound knowledge and experience in microbiology, molecular biology, cell biology
techniques and bioinformatics are encouraged. For further details please visit lab homepage
• KCP lab: Molecular genetic approach to understand light signalling and flowering time control in plants
• PA lab: Microbiota and Gut-brain-gut axis: The Aich Lab focuses on the understanding of the role of intestinal microbiota on gut-brain-gut axis. The main objective of the lab is to correlate and establish the mechanism of host physiology in terms of metabolism and immunity as a function of commensal microbiota. Work requires a systems biology approach with expertise in immunology, microbiology, bioinformatics, and mathematical biology. People, with experience and interest in any or many of the areas with a strong desire for PhD research with a predefined question in mind, are preferred
• PSS lab: Neuroendocrine regulation, Neural circuitry of energy balance and reproduction
• PVA lab: Molecular mechanism of eukaryotic start codon selection fidelity and its effect on differential protein expression pattern and cellular physiology
• RA lab: Structure-and-function; mechanistic insights into the functioning of two-component systems and transporters
• SC lab: Cellular immunology of T cells and macrophages: implication in infection immunity and cancer Immunity
• TKC lab: Structure-function relationship of Dengue Virus replication complex proteins
(AR = Dr Abdur Rahaman, DPA = Dr Debasmita P Alone, HM = Dr Harapriya Mohapatra, KCP = Dr KC Panigrahi, PA = Dr Palok Aich, PSS = Dr PS Singru, PVA = Dr Pankaj V Alone, RA = Dr Rudresh Acharya, SC = Dr Subhasish Chattopadhyay, TKC = Dr TK Chowdary)
• The selection committee of the respective schools will short-list the candidates among those who meet the minimal educational qualifications and meet additional criteria that each school could set as deemed necessary.
• The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, supplemented with a written exam, if needed, for the admission.
• dependent on the academic record along with the performance of the candidates in the selection procedure, the selection committee of this school will recommend candidates to the Chairman, Academic Council for admission to the Ph.D. program.
• All candidates known for the Test / Interview will be paid to and fro single, secondsleeper class railway fare by the shortest route from their place of residence to the Institute / venue of this Test and Interview. They must produce evidence (railway ticket) in support of the claim.
How to Apply:
- The application form needs to be filled up online at http://www.niser.ac.in and applicants ought to follow stepwise instructions mentioned to finish the application submission procedure. At the time of application, along with this online form, the candidate must upload a soft copy of the supporting documents according to the eligibility standards.
- Candidates planning to apply for at least 1 school must fill up online application forms for each school and submit separate forms with appropriate supporting documents.
- Two sealed letters of reference in the prescribed format with the signature of the referee on the envelope ought to be generated by the student in the time of interview. The copy of the reference letter can be obtained online.
- NISER doesn’t demand any application fee from the candidates that apply for the PhD program.
- Each school will send the call letters to the candidates individually.
- kindly refer to this site for the announcement of the chosen candidates.
- The registration is scheduled to be held on 1st January 2019 (Tuesday).
- If you have any additional query, kindly send an email to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] for Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Humanities & Social Sciences and Computer Sciences respectively.
- Applicants are invited to see school website for information on research activities.
Checklist for application submission:
During online submission, you Will Have to have the following ready with you for uploading;
- JPEG file of your passport size photograph.
- JPEG file of your valid signatures.
- Birth Certificate/10th pass certification in support of date of birth.
- Certification in support of category (SC/ST), just if applicable.
- Certification and mark sheets in support of passing qualifying exam i.e Master’s degree.
- Certification (s)/document(s) in support of qualifying national degree exam (s) viz. CSIRUGC NET/GATE/GPAT/JEST/INSPIRE (Doctoral fellowship under AORC Scheme) or some other other.
Address for communication and more details:
Faculty-In Charge (Academic Affairs),
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER),
Po-Bhimpur-Padanpur, Via-Jatni, Dist-Khurda-752050
Phone: 0674-2494013, Fax: 0674-2494004
Email: [email protected]
View Notification Below